What is "The 24-Hour Rule"?
This rule has several purposes:
1) Allows each party involved during an issue to step back and clear the initial emotional elements
2) Provides a clear and concise process for problem resolution
3) Provides a clear understanding of what is expected from all parties involved
4) Promotes direct communication
5) Provides an avenue of fairness and opportunity to every parent, player and coach
The 24-Hour Rule:
When an issue occurs and a party has a resulting complaint to make or issue to be resolved, they are asked to wait 24 hours, then put the issue in writing and submit it to the appropriate party. Whether this issue is labelled as coaching error, team mate interference, parent conflict or any other of a number of possible situations, it is very important that all parties involved take the full 24 hours to remove or decrease the emotional element so that the actual issue can be resolved quickly, in a civilized manner, and to everyone's satisfaction.